Installing Windows XP on Eee PC, Made Easy
I was really tempted to move try Windows XP when I learned the easiest way (thus far) how to install it on Eee PC. And the fact that installing the latest Ubuntu Eee failed me, I cannot help the temptation. I installed Windows XP nLite version, and I’m planning to install a full version.
Here are the easy steps I’m talking about:
- You need to have USB_PREP8, PeToUSB, Bootsect.exe
- Format your USB Drive.
- Load boot sector.
- Load Windows XP install CD to USB.
- Install Windows XP to Eee PC.
Now to make it easier, here’s the detailed steps.
- Extract all (3) downloaded files to any folder you want.
- Move PeToUSB inside the USB_PREP8 folder.
- Run the ‘usb_prep8.cmd’ by double-clicking or via command console.
- Press any key.
- PeToUSB will open. Stick with the default settings and click Start. When done, close the window.
- Open command console. Start > Run > cmd
- Change directory to folder where you extracted bootsect tool.
- Type ‘bootsect.exe /nt52 X:’ where X is the drive letter of your USB flash drive. Wait until ‘Bootcode was successfully updated on all targeted volumes’ appears.
- Go back to USB_PREP8 command window.
- Read carefully the directions and give proper values. Everything should go well.
- Wait for the process to complete and you will then have a bootable USB Windows XP installer.
For any issues you may encounter, please head back here or via Contact Us and I will be glad to help you.
- Windows 7’s God Mode
- How to install Windows 7 on Netbooks
- Fn F2 not working on Easy Peasy 1.1 [Solved with EEE Control]
- 1000HE ASUS EEE PC, Fixing Windows 7 Errors
- Nokia Booklet 3G with Windows 7 Home Premium