How to install Windows XP on Eee PC and netbooks, made easy
I was really tempted to try Windows XP when I finally learned the easiest way (thus far) to install it on my Eee PC. And I could not help the temptation, especially after failing to properly install Ubuntu EEE edition, as it malfunctioned with some parts of my comptuer.
Anyway, I installed Windows XP nLite version on my EEE PC, and I’m planning to install a full version as well in the near version. Below you can see what needs to be done in order to install XP on your EEE PC as well, in just a couple of easy steps.
Here are the easy steps I’m talking about:
- You need to have USB_PREP8, PeToUSB, Bootsect.exe
- Format your USB Drive.
- Load boot sector.
- Load Windows XP install CD to USB.
- Install Windows XP to Eee PC.
Now to make it easier, here’s the detailed installing walk-through.
- Extract all (3) downloaded files to any folder you want.
- Move PeToUSB inside the USB_PREP8 folder.
- Run the ‘usb_prep8.cmd’ by double-clicking or via command console.
- Press any key.
- PeToUSB will open. Stick with the default settings and click Start. When done, close the window.
- Open command console. Start > Run > cmd
- Change directory to folder where you extracted bootsect tool.
- Type ‘bootsect.exe /nt52 X:’ where X is the drive letter of your USB flash drive. Wait until ‘Bootcode was successfully updated on all targeted volumes’ appears.
- Go back to USB_PREP8 command window.
- Read carefully the directions and give proper values. Everything should go well.
- Wait for the process to complete and you will then have a bootable USB Windows XP installer.
That’s it. Might sound a bit complicated, but it’s actually not if you follow the steps carefully.
For any issues you may encounter when trying to install Windows XP on your EEE PC (or any other netbook), please head back here and leave a reply or get in touch via the contact page and I will be glad to help you.
- How to install Windows 7 on Netbooks
- Fn F2 not working on Easy Peasy 1.1 [Solved with EEE Control]
- HowTo install Expressgate on USB
- EeePCLinuxOS: How to install
- 1000HE ASUS EEE PC, Fixing Windows 7 Errors
Last updated: April 19, 2012 |