HowTo Fix Fn-F5 toggle on Eee PC running Windows XP
Since I now have a Live Ubuntu Eee on my 8GB SDHC, I headed and installed Windows XP on Eee 701 that I own. I was able to grab a USB to IDE cable from Brando and installing the XP with an external DVD drive was a breeze. After installing all required drivers and the ACPI, everything works except the FN+F5 key which is used to toggle/extend the display to another monitor or a projector. I had no internet connection while I troubleshoot but I was still lucky to figure out how to fix it. Trials and Errors was effective that time.
I initially installed the Intel Graphics Driver that comes along with the Asus Eee PC restore CD, but it only supports up to 800×600 resolution with no scaling. So the whole Desktop doesn’t fit very well on the small monitor, thus, scrolling is required to go end-to-end on the screen. FN+F5 works prefectly during with this driver. Then I updated the driver with Intel Embedded Graphics Driver that supports scaling and the problem occurred.
igfxext.exe not running. FN+F5 will be disabled.
It took me a while before I finally figured out a technique and I hope this might help you too in case you run the same problem.
- Install the original driver back. The FN+F5 will work again, but the resolution is quite big for the screen (not scaled).
- Run the “Setup.exe” of the IEGD driver but select Uninstall Driver instead of directly overwriting the existing one.
- Restart Windows XP
- When XP boots up again, it will prompt you for Graphics Driver. This time, follow the installation wizard but point the driver to use the IEGD.
- Graphics driver will be successfully installed with scaled resolution, and the FN+F5 still works.
Another problem that might happen to you but so unlikely is that the Eee PC Tray Utility won’t allow you to select a different resolution. Just make sure that your monitor uses the Plug n Play driver and not the ones with specific resolution. e.g Dafault(800×480).
- Asus Eee PC X101 – Meego running ultra-portable (video)
- How to install Windows XP on Eee PC and netbooks, made easy
- Asus Eee PC X101H – new Windows 7 netbook with PineTrail
- HowTo install Expressgate on USB
- Elantech Touchpad Annoyances [Solved]
Last updated: October 26, 2011 |